Please feel free to post your insights, testimony, book recommendation, favorite quote, or scriptural questions to this blog. Just keep in mind that it's public and can be read by anyone. Also, as you post if you reference a verse type it out and give the reference. When you're done posting please add several tags to the post so it can be searched for by everyone else.

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Hearers and Doers

The other day I posted about Nephi's affection for his wife. I also said that I had been blessed of the Lord exceedingly. Most of the time when we talk about scriptures Katie doesn't think she can teach me anything. She always thinks that since I have spent more time in the scriptures, especially while on a mission, that I must know more than her. She couldn't be further from the truth.

Over the last few weeks I have been impressed with her and how she truly lives the gospel. While she may not know the scriptural reference for what she is doing off the top of her head, she holds it in her heart. This really hit home Monday night for me, when I asked her what she wanted to talk about for family home evening. I had in mind a discussion about other religions, since neither of us have had much exposure to them, and she had asked me just about everything I know about Catholics and infant baptism a few days ago. "How about we get out that binder on emergency preparedness and go buy a few things on the list?" was her reply. Within a few moments I thought, "What a great plan of action" and decided to abandon my idea. Later on that night I thought a lot about my scriptural knowledge and wondered how often I get lost in the theoretical approach to the scriptures, and miss the mark. The scripture below in James came to mind.

James 1:22-25:

22 But be ye adoers of the word, and not hearers only, deceiving your own selves.
23 For if any be a ahearer of the word, and not a doer, he is like unto a man beholding his natural face in a bglass:
24 For he beholdeth himself, and goeth his way, and straightway forgetteth what manner of man he was.
25 But whoso looketh into the perfect alaw of bliberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.

Thanks Katie for reminding me that as my testimony grows from studying the scriptures, it should inspire me to act, otherwise it will be lost.

No comments: